The Secretary's most important function probably is interpreting the discussions at local Association meetings. Failure to clearly record the proceedings of a meeting may confuse the officers and members of the Association.
It is the responsibility of the Secretary to:
- accurately reflect action in the meeting by getting to the heart of each pertinent discussion;
- keep a permanent minute book and to make the minutes and records available to members upon request;
- notify officers, committees and Association reps of appointment
notify all committee members and Association reps of assignments and time and place of meetings;
- certify with the local Association President the names of all persons chosen to serve as delegates from the local Association to annual meetings, including NEA Convention;
- keep a systematic method of filing letters received, copies of letters sent, and records of the Association, Treasurer's reports, up-to-date copy of the Constitution and Bylaws, a list of all commit tee members and Association reps, their addresses and telephone numbers, and copies of all committee and miscellaneous reports;
- send out notices of Association meetings to Association reps and members;
carry on the correspondence of the Association, that is, correspondence which is not a function proper to other officers;
- take a place beside the President or Chairperson at all meetings;
- preside over meetings in the absence of the President and Vice President, and continue to so serve until those present have named a Chairperson pro tem;
- prior to each meeting, prepare an order of business for the use of the presiding officer;
- to keep the Association's official membership list (unless another officer or staff member has this duty); and
- to sign all certified copies of acts of the Association unless otherwise specified in the Bylaws.
(Many Associations divide these duties between recording and corresponding secretaries. This division serves a dual purpose. It divides the work and provides a substitute if one is absent.)